Difference between Democrats and Republicans:
I used to vote Republican. Then I grew up.
- Why you should vote for Obama
188 Fact-Checked Promises President Obama Has Kept. Updated, as of Nov. 4.
More than 200 Obama accomplishments w/citations
CHARTS: Yes, We're Better Off Than We Were Four Years Ago: Democrats have done well with job gains and corporate profits.
I don't like everything the Obama administration has done, especially when they've continued or expanded Republican programs on civil rights. Still, they're often headed in the right direction. Attorney General Eric Holder reverses Bush policy on DNA waivers: "The waivers are filed only in guilty pleas and bar defendants from ever requesting DNA testing, even if evidence emerges that could exonerate them." So innocent people were prevented from proving their innocence as part of a plea bargain agreement. Holder reversed that.
No Congress Since '60s Makes as Much Law as 111th Affecting Most Americans: When the Democrats controlled the House and the Senate, things got done.
- Wny you shouldn't vote for Romney
The Five Reasons Why Romney/Ryan Must Be Defeated in 2012 - And Why Conservatives Should Hope They are: Actually five bullet points with scads of sub points.
Senate Republicans Leave Town After Blocking Dozens Of Judicial Nominations: Former Republican Senator, not Democratic Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, said in September, "By refusing to vote on these 15 nominations, Senate Republicans have declared that they are unconcerned about the millions of Americans who will continue to lack adequate access to our Federal courts and speedy justice."
Many of Republicans' supposed strengths are really their weaknesses. More Romnesia: 5 Issues that Divide Conservatives and the American Military: "The rift between the U.S. military and the leadership of American conservatism has now become so broad that one issue area alone doesn't contain it."
And: Who Threw Israel Under the Bus? The Director of Mossad 1998-2002 says, "whenever the United States has put serious, sustained pressure on Israel's leaders from the 1950s on it has come from Republican presidents, not Democratic ones. This was particularly true under Mr. Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush."
I keep asking this question of Republicans, as have many others, with no good answer: What is the best thing you can say about your candidate, that is true?
Congress On Pace to Be Least Productive: With so much at stake, Republicans denied benefits to veterans, refused to confirm judges and denied passage of job bills. "The 112th Congress is on track to be the least productive in modern history".
Republican obstructionism is deliberate and wholly political. Paul Ryan Plotted to Sabotage the US Economy with Newt Gingrich: DailyKos diary lays out the facts, "The media has failed ... completely failed ... to acknowledge and report that on January 20, 2009, before President Obama ever took a seat behind the desk of the Oval Office, Paul Ryan and 11 other Congressional Republicans had plotted to sabotage the U.S Economy by obstructing 'the People's' work."
VP Debate 2012: The Real Paul Ryan Is Bad for America "You know what's the difference between Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan? Lipstick."
- Should you vote for a 3rd party candidate?
Daniel Ellsberg: Progressives should vote for Obama in swing states: "Both President Obama and Mitt Romney are flawed candidates" says the Pentagon Papers whistleblower who will not be voting for Obama. The article lists several third party candidates for president. Ellsberg warns, "the Romney/Ryan ticket is so much more dangerous." and encourages "citizens in swing states to vote against a Romney victory by voting for the only real alternative, Barack Obama."
24 Types of Libertarian : A bit o' humor.
- The Republican War on Women
Proof of the GOP War On Women: Exhaustive and growing list of legilation proposed and passed on the federal and state level. "Conservatives like to pretend there is no war on women, so PoliticusUSA developed a running list of legislation to prove that there is indeed a war on women. The proof is in the policy, and policy trumps words."
This Week in the War on Women: Good DailyKos diary from October about the anti-women bills introduced by Republicans, and some of their other attempts. "The Republican Party really doesn't like us. They don't want us to have health care. They don't want us to have equal pay for equal work. They don't even want to fund programs to fight domestic violence."
ACLU blog listing, War on Women: "The "War on Women" describes the legislative and rhetorical attacks on women and women's rights taking place across the nation. In includes a wide-range of policy efforts designed to place restrictions on women's health care and erode protections for women and their families. Examples at the state and federal level have included restricting contraception; cutting off funding for Planned Parenthood; state-mandated, medically unnecessary ultrasounds; abortion taxes; abortion waiting periods; forcing women to tell their employers why they want birth control, and prohibiting insurance companies from including abortion coverage in their policies."
The Republican Guide to Female Anatomy
- Republicans deny the War On Women
Mitt Romney denies charge Republicans are waging 'war on women.': "I'm the guy who was able to get all the health care for all the women and men for my state" is Romney's defense. On the federal level, this is known as Obamacare.
A Study in Contrasts: RNC Chair Priebus Denying "War on Women," While Senator Murkowski Calls it Out: From April, a short list of Republican responses to charges of the War On Women, and the blog's debunking of them.
- Republican lies are just politics as usual: I could make a whole section on this, and might need to, but for now let's just look at one pernicious example:
Strident Anti-Obama Messages Flood Key States: Which strident mud-slinging commercial should the Republican air? They ran focus groups to see who's sphincters would clench the most. But they went too far.
"I thought, well, I'll take a look and see what it is," said the voter, Judy Cindrick. The DVD was addressed to her husband, who was not affiliated with either party on his state voter registration. "But then it got to the part about the president's mother, and I was like, O.K., I can't even watch this anymore. This is just something a bunch of crackpots put together."
- Republicans' Voter Suppression Project Grinds On. "The big Republican victory in the 2010 election was essential to the Voter Suppression Project. With the help of ALEC -- a conservative lobbying outfit that spreads cookie- cutter bills to state legislatures -- Republicans moved with lightning speed to implement their scheme. Since 2011, 18 states have enacted voter-suppression bills, with similar ones pending in 12 more."
- The slippery slope of gun control doesn't tilt the way the media presents the story
Kennedy allowed pilots to carry guns in cockpits after the Bay of Pigs. Bush rescinded this right in July of 2001, just when he was being warned of an imminent terrorist attack. For my gun owner friends to think about.
See also Obama has expanded, not reduced gun rights
And compare with Can Romney Shoot Straight on Guns?: When Romney was governor, "the state quadrupled its gun-licensing fee, and Romney signed a law that made permanent a ban on "assault weapons." Even the Free Republic gets in on the anti-Romney barrage Press Release - Massachusetts Gun Owner: "Voting for Romney Was the Biggest Mistake of My Life"
- Private Jobs Increase More With Democrats in White House: Full Bloomberg chart
- Study: House Republican Budget Would Raise Taxes On The Middle Class, Cut Them For Millionaires.
- Comments by me, or noted by me:
There are vast differences between the two parties. The Democratic Party is stronger on the economy (by a lot), stronger on women's rights (by a lot), stronger on civil rights (by a lot), stronger on marriage equality (by a lot), stronger on military use (by a lot), stronger on the environment (though not by a lot) and more honest and forthcoming. No, they're not perfect, but the Republican Party is completely unhinged; most Republicans can't even pronounce all the syllables in the word "democratic". They've aligned themselves with the worst elements of American society. It's not so much that conservatives are stupid, but that they're pround of being stupid.
The difference between the two parties are stark. Republicans are judged from the bottom up. Democrats are judge from the top down.
The difference between conservatives and liberals is on display. Conservatives sling mud and think they're making a political point. Liberals are knowledgeable and polite and assume their opponents are going to act like grown ups.
The difference between Democratic and Republican sex perverts: Democratic pervs damage themselves. Republican pervs destroy thousands of lives.
If you can afford to buy an election, you can afford to pay higher taxes.
Overheard from a Republican friend: "The difference between Obama and Cheney? When Obama shoots someone in the head, it's bin Laden."
We so desperately need a liberal news media that's not afraid to call liars out.
Bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive. As usual, Joe Biden nails it.
- Help for homeowners: A Facebook graphic from the Obama Truth Team. Separate graphic:
- GOP: Fewer Jobs, Higher Debt; More Sex : Andrew Tobias, with chart
- Barton says Church Law should over rule secular law: With Video. All the conservatives worried about Sharia Law... you need to vote Democratic this election.
- Romney complains Obama never managed anything: Comparisons of job growth between Obama and George W. Bush. DailyKos Diary from May, the job numbers are better now (and weren't so good for Romney in Mass.).
- Gross Debt by President 1940-2011
- A Brief History of Corporate Whining: cartoon:
- Pat Robertson Quotes: eg "Maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up". And I know people who think like this, all very conservative...
- GOP goes after military rape victims: The flag-waving, saber-rattling GOP is constantly against our troops, especially the female ones.
- Conservative Logic Series: A large and ever-growing Facebook gallery of images and graphics.
- The GOP's Dead-End Marriage Program: A Big Government Bush era program to get poor people to marry was largely political: "[Marriage Czar] Horn believed that federal poverty programs should be vehicles for marriage promotion, once proposing that the federal government exclude unmarried people from anti-poverty programs like Head Start and from public housing" Parts continued under Obama, where the program is also about jobs and solid marriages: "When the administration issued the grant requirements, it insisted on the programs having a strong employment component along with the Oprah-style relationship classes."
- 10 things the GOP doesn't want you to know about taxes: Long and detailed DailyKos Diary examination of the current tax structure, with links and charts.
- Repeatedly debunked lies still front and center in Romney campaign ad blasting Obama stimulus: DailyKos Diary from July on a thoroughly debunked Karl Rove mud slinging.
- Black and White numbers -- Democrats are better than Republicans (on job creation): From June, the numbers are better now.
- District by District Impact of Republican Medicare Plan and Medicaid Cuts: Clickable map to help understand "the ramifications of the Republican Medicare and Medicaid proposals."
- As OSHA's Budget Drops, Workplace Fatalities Rise (and Other Obvious, Important Conclusions): Contains graphic charting the increase in OSHA's budget vs. decreasing number of fatal work injuries.
- Study: Right twists facts: from salon.com, "In the study, Liu and Ditto report, conservatives tilted their views of the facts to favor their moral convictions more than liberals did, on every single issue."
- Unemployment poster (check whole site) poster:
Republican voter suppression and outright fraud is an entirely different list, and very long.